All Saints' church
View from Pavement.
This is a preconquest church being mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1087. It was enlarged in the 12th century and was rebuilt in the 14th century and the west tower built in 1400. In 1782 the chancel was removed (it was directly ahead in this view) and the space used to enlarge the Pavement market place. The lantern tower (28 m, 93ft high), a York landmark, was rebuilt in the 19th century and is lit as a memorial to the citizens of York who lost their lives in the two world wars. (Ref. 1).
As well as the 13th century door knocker on the north door, the church has 14th century glass in the west window (from St. Saviour's), a 15th century lectern (from St. Crux) and a 17th century pulpit. (Ref. 7)
Photo: taken 15 April 2007