Merchant Taylors' Hall
14th Century Hall of the Merchant Taylors' Company
Standing back from the road underneath the Bar Walls is the late 14th/early 15th century timber-framed hall of the Merchant Taylors'. Built around 1400 for the Fraternity of St John the Baptist it was likely being used by the Taylors soon after it was built. The 18th century brick exterior gives the hall a rather mundane appearance which does not reflect the restored medieval interior.
The Hall has been used as a theatre and as a School for Girls. The Aldwark National School (1813-1873) leased the hall from the Merchant Taylors' Company and taught between 100 and 250 girls.
The hall is one of four guild halls in York and is the only one remaining owned by a single guild. Admission is free, and the hall is available for party bookings.
Photo: taken 18 March 2006.