Designed by Peter Atkinson the younger; its foundation stone was laid in June 1811 and it was opened in 1812.
Recordings of a bridge at this spot occur by the early 12th century and by the 15th century a stone bridge existed. As was the norm at this time, the bridge was considered a prime site for real estate and by the mid-15th century there were 42 tenements on the bridge as well as a chapel dedicated to St Anne. The bridge needed frequent repairs and tolls were collected for its upkeep. In the 16th century rubbish became a major problem and occupiers of the tenements were forbidden to keep holes in their buildings to throw their rubbish down into the river as this resulted in the rotting of the timbers.
The bridge was the site of the sea-fish market from the 13th to the beginning of the 19th centuries.
At one time the archbishops of York had a gallows on the bridge.
Photo: taken 16 April 2006